Monday, June 13, 2011

Manners

It's really simple to have good manners. Why do so few use them? A friend of mine and I were talking and we agreed that more than education, status, knowledge or strength, the thing that will get you the farthest with others is good manners.

Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter which fork you use. ~Emily Post


Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown


I imagine my Mom and Step-father when I think of the topic of manners. They always think of others before themselves and are kind, generous and great role models to me.

1 comment:

  1. A related quote from a great movie, "Blast from the Past" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0124298/quotes):

    Eve: Now hold on, hold on just a minute! In the first place I do not fall in love with weirdos who I've only known for four or five days!

    Troy: Yes you do.

    Eve: And I don't fall in love with grown men who collect baseball cards!

    Troy: Yes you do.

    Eve: Or pee in their pants when they see the ocean!

    Troy: Yes you do.

    Eve: Or have perfect table manners!

    Troy: You know, I asked him about that. He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior. Oh and you know what else he told me?

    Eve: What?

    Troy: He thinks I'm a gentleman and you're a lady.

    Eve: [disgusted] Well, consider the source! I don't even know what a lady is.

    Troy: I know, I mean I thought a "gentleman" was somebody that owned horses. But it turns out, his short and simple definition of a lady or a gentleman is, someone who always tries to make sure the people around him or her are as comfortable as possible.

    Eve: Where do you think he got all that information?

    Troy: From the oddest place - his parents. I mean, I don't think I got that memo from mine.

    ReplyDelete